To all departments and agencies concerned:
In order to thoroughly implement the important instructions from the Chongqing Municipal Party Committee and the Chongqing Municipal People’s Government on the construction of Chongqing as a City of Design, and to fully demonstrate the image and design essence of Chongqing as a city brand, following the guidelines of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), it has been decided to publicly solicit design proposals for the logo of Chongqing as a City of Design. The relevant matters are notified as follows:
Ⅰ. Solicitation Background
On October 31, 2023, UNESCO announced that Chongqing joined the UNESCO Creative Cities Network as a City of Design (hereinafter referred to as City of Design), becoming the fifth city in China and the first in its western region designated as a City of Design. Chongqing is sophisticatedly designed, and known as an “8D” magical city. It serves as a strategic fulcrum for developing the Chengdu-Chongqing Economic Circle and the New Western Land-sea Corridor. As the only municipality in China that incorporates large urban areas, rural areas, mountainous regions, reservoir areas, and ethnic areas, Chongqing proposes the theme of “design empowering the integration and improvement of urban and rural industries.” It focuses on three major areas: industrial design, engineering design, and fashion design, aiming to promote “industrial design” to empower high-quality development in manufacturing, improve employment quality; “engineering design” to empower urban renewal, enhance the living environment; and “fashion design” to empower rural revitalization and culture-tourism integration, improve quality of life. Chongqing is committed to developing as a globally recognized and international City of Design.
Ⅱ. Solicitation Scope
The solicitation is open globally to enterprises, teams, and individuals including but not limited to professional designers, teachers and students from educational institutions, freelancers, and so on.
Ⅲ. Design Requirements
1. The logo must conform to China’s core socialist values, embody the distinctive features and development vision of Chongqing as the City of Design, and fully showcase its urban image, culture, and concepts.
2. The logo should be simple in style, harmonious in color, profound in meaning, vibrant, visually appealing, easy to remember and spread, and have a highly unified ideological and artistic nature. It should exhibit humanistic, international, and global traits.
3. The logo design should fully consider the integrated application of Chinese and English, be easy to identify and produce, and be applicable to long-term fixed usage, printing, sculpture, and other scenarios.
4. The design and use of the logo should comply with the requirements of the Guidelines on the Use of the UNESCO Creative Cities Network Logo (Chinese and English versions) and the UCCN-logo Design Standards (see annex for details).
Ⅳ. Submission Requirements
1. The works should be submitted as RAR files, named “Designer’s Name + Phone Number.” The folder should contain the following contents:
a. logo vector graphics (1 colored copy, 1 black and white copy, 1 black and white copy with coordinates, in jpg or pdf format)
b. PS or AI design source file (with standard scale and standard colors specified)
c. as elaborate design concepts or interpretations as possible
2. Submit the works directly via email to the designated mailbox: email@example.com.
3. Submission deadline: January 15, 2024.
Ⅴ. Evaluation and Rewards
Experts will be invited to form an evaluation committee. Based on the solicitation and evaluation rules, several entries will be shortlisted. The shortlisted ones will undergo public voting and appraisal from the media. Finally, based on the voting results, media opinions, and expert evaluations, three outstanding works will be selected.
The shortlisted entries will be awarded honorary certificates. The outstanding works will be awarded honorary certificates and a prize of 10,000 RMB per awardee. Aside from the prize money, no additional compensation will be given. The selection results will be announced on the portal website of the Chongqing Economic and Information Commission.
Ⅵ. Special Statement
1. The works must be original or have obtained legal authorization from relevant rights holders. Plagiarism and similar works are strictly prohibited. So are the infringement of intellectual property rights, such as copyrights and trademarks of others, and any violation of national laws and regulations. Otherwise, the registration qualification of the work will be revoked.
2. Once the registered works are selected (including shortlisted entries and outstanding works), it is deemed that the Chongqing Industrial Design Promotion Center is qualified to provide copyright registration services for the works, and the copyright belongs to the organizer. The organizer reserves the right to promote, display, and publicize the works.
3. The individual income tax of the prize money should be paid by the winners.
4. The power of interpretation belongs to the Chongqing Economic and Information Commission.
Ⅶ. Contact Information
Liao Zhengdong, 023-63898012; Liu Mengqiu, 023-63899557
Annex: Guidelines on the Use of the UNESCO Creative Cities Network Logo (Chinese and English versions) and the UCCN-logo Design Standards
Chongqing Economic and Information Commission
January 3, 2024
(This file is published publicly.)